April 1, 2009

Not Just A Girl

Since I can remember I have been told that girls cannot do the things men can do. I have been told when I’m sad or angry to stop being such a girl. I will not write who these people are. If there reading this, they’ll know. They’ll never fully understand what it feels like to not be good enough just because of the sex you were born, I would never want this passed down through my family. I want my kids, no matter what there sex to be told that they can do anything. That the saying, if you put your mind to it, you can do anything, Is very true. I would never want to make them feel held back for any reason.
In 2007 I worked with Justin doing miscellaneous jobs. Some days we’d move people in and out of there homes and apartments. Other days wed be doing clean outs picking up peoples junk. I am not exaggerating when I say that every job I went to my sexuality was pointed out. Told that I shouldn’t be lifting heavy objects because I am a girl. It was hard to walk up to customers of ours and stand next to Justin while he said, “Were here to move you today” Because those people look at you like your weak because your female. Many times Id be carrying a piece of furniture and men would walk up off the street and take it out of my hands assuming I needed there help. There were times when people would compliment me, say that I impressed them. I will always remember what one man said to me. After a long hard move he shook my hand and said, “You put some men I know to shame” What meant the most to me is that he shook my hand before shaking Justin’s. Now I work with Justin doing home remodeling. This too is not easy. Usually the home owner will not speak with me. They’ll talk straight to Justin. Usually ignore that I am there. Like I'm Justin’s little helper never his coworker.
Struggling with this all my life has made me appreciate the brave strong women who have come before me. I believe women still have to fight for equal rights and that there will always be sexist people but I know every day that goes by there is less of them. To the ones who make me feel this way, I’m not mad. If there were not people like you there would not be women like me, but for the women destined to come into your lives, I suggest you tell them that they can do anything and that there feelings are not a side effect from being a girl. That everyone has feelings even you.
                                                

2 comments:

  1. Ah, here is the conundrum: how to balance gender equality with chivalry! Many women today cry, "Chivalry is dead!" when a man forgets to bring her flowers, to open the door for her, etc. These women crave that chivalry, because it is old fashioned romance. Men often hear these cries and try to become more chivalrous. Then, there are other women who find a chivalrous attitude in a man offensive. As a man opens the door for one of these women, she becomes offended and says, "I can open my own door, thank you! You must think I'm a weakling just because I'm a female! You're an insensitive, sexist pig!" So, what's a man to do? It seems that he's screwed if he does and he's screwed if he doesn't. LOL It's understandable for a man to grab a heavy object out of your hands if it seems heavy enough. Hemay be thinking, "well, if I don't help her, I'll look like a brute to her." I remember being in that very same situation once, and it went something like this:

    My female Friend: "Chris, don't just stand there, go help out that woman with her suitcase!"

    Me: "Okay." I run over to the woman. "Can I help you with that?"

    Woman: "No, thanks. I got this."

    Me: "Oh, okay." I walk back to my Friend.

    My Friend: "What are you doing? Go over there and help that woman! Don't be rude!"

    Me: "I did. I offered to help her and she said no, thanks."

    My Friend: "She was just being nice. Go help her!"

    Me: "Oh, alright." I walk back over to the woman. "Really, let me help you with that."

    Woman: "No. I said I got this."

    Me: "Are you sure?"

    Woman: "Yes, I am very sure!"

    I look back at my friend, shrug and shake my head. She looks back and says under her breath "Grab that package and help her dammit!")

    Me: "Seriously, ma'am, let me help you!"

    Woman: "What the fuck! What part of the word 'NO' do you not understand?"

    Me: "Ummm...sorry." I walk back to my friend. "She really didn't want my help."

    My Friend: "I'm telling you, she's just being polite. She's going to hurt herself because you can't be a real man and help her! What an asshole you are!"

    Me: SIGH!

    So, from this experience, I think I have found the balance between female independence and chivalry. If I see a woman carrying a heavy package, I politely offer to help her. If she says no, I ask if she is sure. If she says yes, I'll assure her it's not a problem for me to help her. If she says she is definitely okay, it's 3 strikes and I'm out of there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog, I was drawn in by your "About Me" when I was clicking around the web.

    Gloria Steinem made a huge difference in the way that women are treated, and because of her pay is higher for women and we've got a lot more respect and equality.

    I certainly don't enjoy being treated as less than my husband or any other man, but I've got a pretty big personality that usually demands attention, if not respect. I do like it when a man holds a door for me, but I also demand to be treated like an equal.

    Maybe I want too much, I want it both ways. Is it too much to ask for chivalry AND respect?

    -Fae

    ReplyDelete